In the simplest meaning of the word, the term workflow is described as the way tasks and documents move in a business process. It is the successive progression of interdependent work happenings or a multifaceted set of procedures which are taking place simultaneously and affecting one another.
It often consists of a coordinated and repeatable pattern of business activity that is assisted by the methodical organization of resources into processes that create product materials or arrange services. According to Patient Safety and Quality: An Evidence-Based Handbook for Nurses, the workflow of an organization is composed of the set of procedures it has to finish, the set of people and resources needed to execute those procedures, and the connections between them.
Workflow Management System Defined
Why is workflow management important? In a business operation, there is a need for even the most trivial of tasks to be executed correctly as they are, most often than not, interdependent with one another. Due to this reason, business organizations are compelled to maintain a harmonious set of work operations as much as possible. But, doing so might take a lot of time and effort for business establishments. Thus, they have to find efficient ways to maintain an amiable work operation. This is where the workflow management system will enter.
According to ctg.albany.edu, workflow management systems or more known as workflow management software permit establishments to state and to take control of the activities linked to a business process. Below are two of the tasks a workflow management system does:
- Workflow management systems allow businesses to amount and examine the implementation of the business process in order to come up with necessary business improvements. These improvements may be short-term or long-term.
- Workflow management systems also permit integration with other systems utilized by the business organization, for example, the e-mails, databases, and production applications. Integration is the process by which these different parts or elements are combined together to function as a whole.
What You Can Get From a Workflow Management Software
Because business organizations should achieve a tuneful set of work operations, investing in a workflow management software is not a bad idea at all. In fact, it may even be one of the best decisions a business owner can likely do for his or her business. This is true for the following reasons:
- Openings for structural change – With an efficient workflow management system, businesses are faced with more opportunities of an enhanced structural or organizational change. This is shown by the fact that less interference is necessary for the management of the whole business process as important things like the rules and activity steps are automatically built in the workflow management. Plus, it also promotes greater team coordination with the benefit of many improved means of communication among work staffs.
- Enhanced safety and reliability – Aside from the mentioned organizational change, workflow management system also assures users an enhanced security needed to protect sensitive information coming from various applications used by the business. There are certain features a workflow system contains that can allow this to happen.
- Process change opportunities – Workflow management systems oblige individuals to think through their business process, making them scrutinize and analyze clearly what could be the possible changes they could make in the way they process their work operation. This change in the business process is crucial so to avoid certain bad practices found in a business organization’s workflow. There are three main goals a change in a business process aims for: to reduce processing time, to make the most of the business’ products and services, and to give attention to customer needs more fully.
- Improved access to information – New employees are likely to gain more from this benefit brought by an effective workflow management system. Through this, old business employees are able to provide necessary information in regard to running the business process to new employees who are not yet familiar with how the whole business operation works.
These workflow management software benefits are the primary gains a business organization will get upon involvement in an efficient workflow system. Likewise, this is to augment broader and more long-lasting business solutions to any kind of problems that may arise in the work operation.
When in Search for a Workflow Management Software
Companies make use of workflow management software to increase their level of productivity and to improve certain business processes. But when looking for the right workflow management software, there is one mistake most business organizations have in common.
Often times, these businesses search the Internet for possible workflow management brand and look for showy features with nothing but the reliance on its vividly written descriptions. Despite the fact that every workflow management software found in the market promise to scale up a business’ level of performance, not all of them are honest in giving the kind of service they are promising. So as a consumer, what should you really look for in a workflow management system?
There are certain reminders which you need to remember when in sight for a possible workflow management system:
- Not all workflow management software features found in the workflow management system you are eyeing are true in giving you the facility you need. The hard reality tells you that some brands may just lure you in presenting eye-catchy workflow management software descriptions but do not really stay true to their words along the run.
- Getting a workflow management system cannot solve core problems in the business operation if the system is purchased merely to automate long before bad business operations. Thus, there is a need for a change in the business process as mentioned in the preceding paragraph so to experience the most of what a workflow management system can offer.
Workflow Management Software Features
When finally in search for the workflow management software to properly manage your business process, what features do you really need to sight carefully? Here are some features to keep a keen eye as cited at comindware.com:
- Graphical model of work processes – This refers to a graphical representation of a step-by-step business process and the prospect outcomes of each step. Apparently, an effective graphical modeling is among the essential features a workflow management system can contain. With this, work staffs can see for themselves the resources, activity descriptions, and the parts each individual plays in the whole business operation, thus making the whole team gain a complete understanding of what they are doing and encouraging them to work in unity so to achieve a similar goal which is to make a productive business operation and to serve the customers more efficiently.
- Workflow sequences’ flexibility – Although it is true that some workflow sequences are simple, there are others that are deliberately complex as they consist of numerous sequences at once. Some workflows are even more complicated with their several stages of processes that have to be finished in a combination of some process types. With this given, a workflow system’s capacity to be flexible and design workflows in numerous ways is so important.
- Quick-to-understand graphic illustrations of task status – An efficient workflow management software contains features that allow those engaged in the workflow activity to check their status any time through an understandable visual representation of their tasks.
How to Find an Efficient Workflow Management Software
With the given importance of an effective workflow management, you must have come to the conclusion that maybe now is the time to get your business a well-working workflow management software. But the question is how and where should you get started?
When looking for a workflow management system or any product online, it is helpful to consider the following tips:
- Scrutinize the software’s features. As said, the quality of the software’s features practically decides the kind of service a business organization will benefit from. Thus, this is the first must which a purchaser ought to consider.
- Look for cost-efficient workflow management system that fits for your budget. Apparently, a workflow management software’s price does not validate the kind of quality performance it can give to its consumers. Hence, you do not need to spend much on very expensive workflow management system to get the quality service you deserve. Sometimes, you can still enjoy a well-functioning workflow management system even at a friendly price if you are just persistent in doing your search.
- Read workflow management software reviews you can find online. Product reviews can help you get to know a product more. It is a great way to measure a product’s performance even before you have used it yourself as reviews are given by people who already experienced the product.
A smart and efficient way of managing the workflow is vital in running a business. It changes how your business processes work. For this reason, workflow management should be given significance as it is essential for your business organization to not miss out the possible benefits it can get from getting one.
Now is the time to improve your business performance with an effective workflow management system. Know more about it by reading reviews about workflow management software at CrowdReviews.com.
Latest posts by Katherine Burke (see all)
- Top 7 Reviews of the Best Pharmacy Software and Their Uses - January 19, 2017
- What is Online Registration Software and How Does It Work? - January 17, 2017
- Guidelines on How to Compare Help Desk Software - January 14, 2017