Running a project involves a lot of processes that can get confusing at times. With different people working on the different tasks involved, being a project manager can become a highly stressful job. From delegating to the right individuals to ensuring successful collaboration, having a system to make everything more efficient is a godsend. This is where effective project management software comes in.
What is Project Management Software?
Techopedia, an online resource for business solutions, defines it as a tool used to help managers and their teams become successful on a given project. The software can be used for planning, resource allocation, time and task tracking, and change management.
If you’ve ever worked with multiple individuals or teams, then you can certainly understand how difficult it can be to get organized. With numerous tasks that need to be completed almost simultaneously, it’s easy to get overwhelmed when working on a project.
Project management software developers such as the ones listed in CrowdReviews.com offer different features depending on the industry they are designed for. Below are some of the essential features available in the software:
- Scheduling and planning – Project management software like JIRA provide scheduling features to help teams stay on track. Managers can plot timelines on shared calendars so everyone involved can have access to it at anytime.
- File sharing – This feature allows multiple people access to information that they need to be able to complete their part of the project.
- Resource management – Top project management software providers include this feature in their products. What it does is allow managers to create a list of employee profiles where skills and experiences are recorded. This helps make the selection process of who to assign tasks to more efficient.
- Reports – This feature allows managers and team members to stay on track of the project by providing summaries of what’s going on with the different tasks. While knowing each detail is important, having access to reports such as the ones created by the software can be beneficial.
- Time Tracking – The importance of a time tracking software cannot be stated enough. When you’re working on a project that involves multiple teams and employees, it can be a challenge to keep up with productivity. This feature allows managers and team members keep an accurate record of the time spent on each task without the need to use a separate software.
Why Use Project Management Software?
Some companies opt not to use software for project management. This is often due to the costs involved and the need to switch to a process they are unfamiliar with. However, despite the cost and the process change, the software delivers quite a few benefits that your company can certainly not do without. Below are some of the advantages of using project management software for your business:
- Helps identify the right people – Features of project management software include the ability to create profiles for company employees. These profiles include information about the individuals that can help you determine if they are the best fit for the job. With the right folks working on the tasks, you can guarantee better results for your project.
- Projects stay on track – One of the greatest challenges in managing a project is to keep it on track. There are deadlines that need to be met and budgets that have to be followed. Whatever type of project management software you use, this is a benefit that you can expect.
With reports on where you and your team are with regard to completion, you can check if you are right on schedule. If the reports show otherwise, the necessary adjustments can be made before any costly delays happen.
- Enhances communication – Having different groups of people working on various parts of the project is actually a great way to complete or finish it much faster. But in order for the entire process to be successful, teams will need to coordinate, collaborate, and basically communicate with each other.
Project management software designed for construction allows architects, engineers, and designers to ensure that a house is built in a timely manner and according to the specifications of the owner. So it means engineers need to know how the architects plan it so they can execute it while architects need to know what the designer’s design so the proper space can be allocated for it.
Since people work at the same time either on a certain aspect or on different phases of the project, it is essential that they all understand that there is one goal. Project management software designed for various industries enhances the communication between all the stakeholders. It gives each team a visual on what the others are working on and what others need from them.
These are just some of the benefits that software created for program management may bring. However, since there are quite a few developers and providers that offer this type of product, it is important to choose the right one so your business can enjoy these benefits.
How to Choose Project Management Software?
To hail any of the project management software in the market as the best one can be difficult and downright misleading. There are different types of the software offered by numerous providers that come with features that can be useful for specific industries.
So in order to find the best one for your company, there are a lot of factors that you would need to consider first. Below are some tips on how to choose the project management software for your business.
- Assess your needs – Before you start looking around for the tool, it would be ideal to assess what your organization’ needs are first. What kind of business do you handle? What internal processes do you currently have and how efficient are they? Why do you want to put an automated system in and how can this affect your productivity?
Asking yourself these questions will make it easier for you to identify which provider can best address your needs. It’s the same as when you’re trying to figure out what to eat for dinner. If you start looking around for a restaurant before you even know what kind of food you want, it makes it more difficult to make a choice.
Also, assessing your needs before you start looking around will also ensure that you don’t choose one just because they have the most features. When you know what your company needs, you also know exactly what features to be looking for. You may not need to spend too much on software that just features heavy but is really not well matched to your business.
- Do your research – When looking for the software that would be the perfect fit for your business, it will be vital to get as much information as you can. Below are some tips on how and where to do your research.
- Product website – This is a great source of information on the features of the program management software you are considering. Most providers provide a comprehensive explanation of the features they are offering. This can help you determine if they can deliver solutions to address your needs.
Some sites also offer case studies of other companies where their software was used. This is a good resource to check how processes were impacted when the tool was implemented.
- Third-party review websites – While the product website can give you information about the listed features, it would of course present the software as the best available. Marketing techniques utilized by the provider will highlight the strengths of their product so you might not be able to fully evaluate if it’s the right one for you.
Visiting a site that provides reviews such as CrowdReviews.com will give you an insight on how other users rate the software you are considering. Some sites even offer project management software comparison so you can see how it fares compared to others.
- Ask end users – Reviews of project management software providers can be sourced from more than just review sites. You can get in touch with other end users to ask them how well the software worked with their processes.
If you know people from other companies using the software you are considering, then reach out to them so you can learn more about how it works when put in practice.
- Take advantage of free trials – While this may not sound ideal, nothing beats evaluating how useful the software is than actually using it. Most providers offer trial periods where you and your teams can test if the features can have a positive impact on your project processes.
You may need to have a control group so you can analyze the impact of the new tool to the performance of your teams. While this may take longer than just simply picking out software, it may help save money in the long run.
With so many options available, finding the right fit may seem like a difficult process. But with the simple tips provided above, you can easily identify which of the software available to choose. Check the list of project management software provider reviews on CrowdReviews.com so you can start exploring your options.
Latest posts by Leonard Worthy (see all)
- What Aspect of Insurance Agency Software Works Best? - January 15, 2017
- What Is Time Tracking Software and How Does it Work? - January 13, 2017
- Tips on How to Choose and Compare the Best Auto Dealer Software - January 12, 2017