As the technology progresses, there are now easier and quicker ways to manage and organize any type of business. From accounting, marketing, document management, the point of sale, time tracking and attendance, there are now software systems to automate your business documents and resources. Having a paperless workspace can help your business in so many ways.
One of these new systems to help in improving a business’ effectiveness is the enterprise resource planning or ERP software. However, the market for this is very large and complex that it is tricky to find the best one. Some ERP software providers offer systems that meet a specific need of every industry like distribution, manufacturing, retail and many others.
However, understanding what ERP software is and the things to look for when you buy will help you choose the right one for you and your business.
What Is an ERP Software?
An ERP software is a business process management system that can help you manage, organize and automate all your back office tasks. This includes distribution process management, supply management, service base, accurate pricing and financial data, creating a standard business procedure, accounting, minimizing costs and expenses, payroll, and managing human resources.
ERP software helps your business through integrating all your business operation such as planning, manufacturing, development, sales and even marketing. These data are stored in a single database that can give you easier access.
When looking for an ERP software, it is essential to do a comparison of ERP software functions and features to find the best one and make the most out of its total potential.
- Manufacturing Management. An ideal ERP software should be able to help you organize everything to have an effective manufacturing process. This may include having a manufacturing execution system or MES feature, bill or materials, production cost estimates, and product lifecycle
- Supply Chain Management. This software function will help you track the goods throughout the manufacturing processes, distribution, and to the retail stores. This will make it easier for you to do regular inventories and monitor the performance of your suppliers.
- Inventory Management. With an ERP software system, you can have real-time information about your product supply. The goal of this feature is to maintain your optimum stock level to prevent any depreciation of your inventories and overspending, and to maximize your revenue. There are also different types of inventory systems to fit the various needs of different industries.
- An ERP software with an excellent accounting feature will help you manage your financial transactions efficiently. This includes sorting through your accounts receivables, accounts payable, payroll, and your general ledger.
- Human Resources. Most ERP software also ventures to help businesses in managing their HR activities and tasks. This includes employee tracking, benefits administration, talent management, employee evaluation, learning management, and employee skills development.
- Customer Relationship Management. An ERP software can also include a CRM or customer relationship management function. This will help you manage your existing customers and generate new ones. It can also allow you to track activity through various departments such as marketing, customer service and sales. A CRM software function helps you gain new customers and clients, increase your profits, and improve your customer satisfaction.
- Business Intelligence. This software function is responsible for analyzing and reporting your business data. This will help you to create and make better business decisions. Its functions in an ERP system include analytics, reporting, and data mining.
Why You Should Start Using an ERP Software
Having an ERP software system to help you manage your business will give you many benefits and advantages. Many businesses nowadays are starting to incorporate an ERP software to their business system and here are the reasons why you should use ERP software, too.
With the use of an ERP software system, you will be able to integrate all your business information easily. This is possible because all your data and documents are stored in a single system. You don’t have to sort through piles of paper in your cabinet whenever you need to review a certain document and make reports. Having an ERP software will also allow you to have consistent and real-time business data at all times.
With an ERP software, your business data is automated and stored in a central system, thus allowing you to easily generate reports that are accurate. This will also improve the quality of your data compared to when you are using a traditional way of record keeping. With an ERP software, you can eliminate the possibilities of losses and unnecessary expenses due to improper and faulty reporting.
Having quality data means generating a more accurate business report, thus, helping you make improved and better business decisions in the future. This will also help you identify problems and issues so you can address them appropriately and as quickly as possible.
An ERP software program is flexible. This means you can easily customize it to fit your business needs by adding more functionalities that you need. This will help you effectively manage new business processes and departments as your business grows and progresses.
The work efficiency of all your employees can also be improved with the use of an ERP software. This can be possible by eliminating all repetitive tasks and automating your day-to-day business processes. This will let your employees focus more of their time on revenue-generating activities. An ERP software can also store the resources your employees need in a single system which they can access anytime. With an easy access to necessary resources, they can easily and quickly finish their tasks, thus increasing their work efficiency.
In every business, having an excellent customer interaction is always essential. One of the pillars of the success of a business is the customers, and it is important to make them happy. With an ERP software system, you can eliminate the gap between your service and your customers. This will help you improve your communication towards your customers and provide a better customer service.
With an ERP system, you can also store all your customer’s information and histories such as name, address, emails, and their purchase orders. This will help you create a list for easy and faster marketing campaigns and promotions.
While you can improve your business data accuracy and quality and consistency of your service using an ERP software, that is not all there is to it. With an ERP software, you can guarantee the security of your business data and documents. Because it is automated, it is less likely for documents will be lost, misplaced, or damaged by unfortunate events.
With the ERP software, you can also create user restrictions. You can put viewing restrictions on certain important and confidential documents. This will also help you track who is viewing and updating information in your system.
Choosing the Right ERP Software for Your Business
Aside from having all the features and functions you need in an ERP software, there are other things you need to consider.
First to consider in purchasing any kind of software system is your budget and how much you are willing to spend for that certain software. You have to understand that the most expensive software system in the market doesn’t necessarily mean it is the best one for you. There is no need to drain your business savings for an ERP system. You just have to find the one that can do all the things you expect it to do.
Another thing to consider in buying an ERP software is its ease of access. You want it to be easy enough to train your employees in its usage. Having a software system that is hard to navigate is not effective in making your business’ tasks easy.
Most of all, you also have to consider the customer service from your software provider. Having an excellent customer service will help you in addressing questions regarding the system or technical issues. You might also want to consider if the software package includes learning resources to help you make the most out of your software.
Trends to Consider
For years, the enterprise resource planning field has made innovations to further the use and accessibility of an ERP software. In choosing the right system to use, you might want to consider these tips in choosing the right ERP software through these newest trends in the market.
- Cloud-based ERP software. A cloud-based ERP software will allow you to store all your business documents and data online. This will give you more access to your system through any devices with an internet connection.
- Social ERP software. Most people nowadays are active in social media. You can have a choice to engage your system with social media to gather a much wider audience. This can also be helpful to your marketing strategies. You can add social media campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms to add to your email marketing campaigns.
- Mobile ERP Integration. The new trend in software systems is its integration into mobile devices. This will give you access to your system through tablets and mobile phones whenever you need to. This can be helpful especially for people who spend some of their time working outside the office. Having a carry-on access to real-time information and resources will increase everyone’s work efficiency.
To learn more about the best ERP software programs and how it works, you can visit CrowdReviews.com and read our reviews for ERP software program choices.
Latest posts by Keith Moore (see all)
- What Is the Best PoS Software and How to Choose It? - January 12, 2017
- What Does Database Management Software Do for Small Businesses? - January 9, 2017
- What Are the Distinct Features of the Top App Development Software? - January 8, 2017