A lot of software used by businesses rely on a good database management software. This may make or break a software’s performance and could greatly affect the functions in your company. Thus, it is important to understand what a database management software is and then find what’s best for your company.
In an article by Scott Aveda, Practice Lead at TM Infotech posted on Linkedin, he indicated that businesses will greatly benefit from the database management systems. This is because of the features and functionalities they possess that are ideal for data management. It enables versatile management in the payroll, accounting, inventory and library books, project management, student information, and employee records.
Indeed, it is a must for businesses to have their database management software to be used together with the other business software they have.
Database Management Software Defined
The first thing to know is what database means. A database is a collection of data which are organized and arranged in tables, schemes, views or reports. A database management software (DBMS) is a computer software used to help users to access, query, organize, update, and analyze their data. It is usually used alongside or integrated with other computer software.
Companies use a lot of data and records. Imagine these data to be stored in your computer. It would be a hassle to rummage through files if you are only looking for particular information. Data might appear lost if you don’t have an organized system to store and access them. A database management software makes it possible to get these data organized and easily retrievable for the users.
Study.com website lists the following as the three elements of a DBMS:
- The physical database: the collection of files that contain the data
- The database engine: the software that makes it possible to access and modify the contents of the database
- The database scheme: the specification of the logical structure of the data stored in the database
- Manage data definition. The administrator who has access to the DBMS is able to set, define, and update the definitions or design of every table or column in the database. Each piece of data is assigned with definitions such as a name and data type, etc. Rules can also be set for every field, column or table.
- Manage data storage. This particular function is used to store metadata information on files or any related data entry forms. This also helps in performance tuning that relates to the efficiency of storage and access speed.
- Transform data as required. This function exists to transform any data entered into required data structures. By using the data transformation and presentation function the DBMS can determine the difference between logical and physical data formats.
- Security Management. This is one of the most important functions of database management software. Through this function, the admin will be able to set who should only have permission and access to the database. This can also set what data the users can and cannot access.
- Manage backup and recovery. This is important, especially because we are talking about taking care of the company’s vital records used for business. The company’s records should always have a backup so, in the case of unwanted scenarios like power outages or outside threats like virus attacks, you’ll still feel safe and don’t have to worry about records getting lost. Most database management software have automatic backup and recovery functions to help on this aspect.
- Multi-user access. This lets the users be able to simultaneously access the database without affecting its integrity. Most business software are linked to the database management system, so when users of an application access all records at the same time through the application, they are all actually accessing the database since the data are most of the time being pulled up from there.
- Since most software applications used by businesses rely on database management software, this is one important function. This lets the third party application to connect to the database and access the data from it. This enables the users to easily access and to view the data using the third party software, especially those who do not have access to the more technical database.
Top Performing Database Management Software
Several review websites have their rankings of the top database management software in the market today. CrowdReviews.com has the following database management software list of the best ones.
- MySQL – This is one of the best open source database management software. It is an open source software so it means it’s for free. It can also be used on all operating system platforms like Windows, Mac, Solaris, Redhat, and others. The installation is easy with the installer which you can manually or automatically run.
- IBM DB2 – This is a relational database management software. It has diverse products for LINUS, UNIX, and Windows.
- PostGreSQL – This is a useful tool for an object-relational database system. This is one of the best choices for SQL (Structured Query Language). It is also an open source software. On Mac, it is the default database for web-hosting. It also available for Windows and Linux.
- Amazon Simple DB – This DBMS is a NoSQL or non-relational data store that offloads the work of database administration. As per the Amazon Simple DB website, developers simply store and question data items via web services requests and Amazon SimpleDB does the rest.
- MongoDB – It is a database management software which is equipped with the innovation of NoSQL that is flexible, scalable and efficient performance. The software builds the foundation of a relational database with expressive query language and secondary indexes with strong consistency.
- FileMaker Server – This is a solution that can easily create customized business solutions for iOS, Windows, and the web. It is Mac-Friendly and also supports mobile. This offers many advanced features and tools so users can create custom applications.
Choosing the Best DBMS for Your Business
Crowdreviews.com has several reviews about the database management software. You can also find reviews about the other DBMS as well. Aside from CrowdReviews.com, there are also other online review websites where you could get information about the software. Compare the different software features of each DBMS and see which one has more where your company will benefit from. It is also advisable to read client reviews because you will be able to get both the positive and negative sides of the software.
Aside from reviews, there are also several blogs online that could assist you in the selection process. Just like the blogs in Crowdreviews.com. One example is the blog about what features to look for in a database management system.
Also, reviews and tutorials can be found on YouTube. This is also another way to find details about a database management software. You can also get feedbacks about the software from actual users through the video tutorials or through viewers’ comments.
Another way to get more information about this is through their official websites. One quick search on Google can lead you to the official websites of the software. Most official websites are specific in explaining what their software’s features are. Some of them even have free trials. This is one of the best ways to learn about a software. Through these free trials, one can actually try and see for himself how a software works. You’ll also know which one would be easier to install, setup, and use.
Also, it is always a good idea to choose an application with the customer and technical support line. If they have 24/7 support, then that’s really better. It will give you a bit of peace of mind when you know there are people who can assist you anytime, especially during unforeseen events like power outages, virus attacks, hardware failure, etc.
It is also helpful to seek assistance from a business analyst especially because you’ll be integrating the database management system to most of your other business software. It is necessary to know if the other business software you are planning to use is compatible with the database management software and vice versa. It would be necessary to request for documentation from the software companies. They usually list down all their system requirements and that also include what database management software is required.
Looking for the best database management software for your organization? Check out reviews and software rankings from CrowdReviews.com.
Latest posts by Keith Moore (see all)
- What Is the Best PoS Software and How to Choose It? - January 12, 2017
- What Does Database Management Software Do for Small Businesses? - January 9, 2017
- What Are the Distinct Features of the Top App Development Software? - January 8, 2017