In a previous post, we talked about the feature set of the top content marketing software currently available. We went quite in depth with what you can expect from this class of software, with the promise that we would actually look at some of the packages in the future. That’s what we’re up to today.
In this article we’re going to examine the top content marketing services currently available, as ranked by our very own reviewers here at Crowd Reviews. This information is accurate as of the time of this writing, however things can change in the future. If you’ve read some of our other articles, there may be some overlap between topics. This is because many software packages offer a broad array of features, and are quite good at all of them. This means that they can appear in multiple lists.
Let’s get to it!
Viral Content Buzz: In the era of social media, it is no surprise that software would pop up to make the dissemination of material even easier. Viral Content Buzz was designed with that goal in mind. Of course they don’t guarantee huge amounts of traffic, as that would be disingenuous. However, they do their best to only promote high quality content so that you can trust their name. So how does it work?
In a nutshell, it’s a network of reciprocity. You share something that you like and gain credits. The more followers you have, the more credits you get. Later you can spend these credits to submit your own work for sharing by other Viral Content Buzz members. It’s a sort of self-regulated network of affiliates for content. This is pretty cool in that it helps people get noticed. Even if you have a small following, you can accrue lots of points by sharing lots of content. This will help you to get your content shared by others and boost your own rankings.
It’s also handy for finding content relevant to your readers. Rather than scouring the web for hours, the platform helps to bring the content to YOU. The content is moderated so that you don’t have to wade through what is essentially spam.
All in all, this is a pretty nifty service for content marketers.
MyBlogGuest: In keeping with the theme of connecting people, MyBlogGuest is a platform and community for connecting bloggers and journalists in a niche. In a nutshell, a guest post is a blog you write for someone else’s blog. You provide high quality content and you gain exposure to their audience. This is a great way to gain traction in a new niche, since one of the biggest challenges we all face is just being known. Obscurity is a real killer, and this platform helps to minimize that risk.
There are some limitations, of course. The author has to provide unique content. So if you’re an author you can’t write one article and submit it to 10 different sites. The blogger can’t edit the article without the author’s permission, grammar and spelling correction aside.
Oh, and the best part is that it is free. That’s right. Free. Free is the best price, folks.
Followthehashtag: With the explosion of Twitter in recent years, it’s expected that someone would move in to write a great piece of software to capitalize on its wealth of data. Followthehashtag has a number of free features that make this great software, with some paid feature as well.
- Export to PDF functionality to create pdf reports of all the data you collect
- Export a mountain of data to Excel for later analysis. Data includes top tweets (by retweets and favorites), top users (by followers etc), gender, reach, geolocation, etc.
- Keyword tracking functionality to track keywords for up to 7 days with a limit of 1500 tweets. This is useful for measuring the popularity of a topic.
- Many, many more
If you’re a Twitter fanatic, then you will definitely want to check out Followthehastag. Pricing is in euros, so North American users will have to do some currency conversion.
Hubspot: Hubspot is a multinational organization formed with the intent of automating and streamlining the marketing process. Their mantra is to “solve for the customer”, which is probably what gives rise to their powerful position in the marketplace. They offer a comprehensive suite of features that would appeal to content marketers, including:
- Blogging software that makes creating compelling content easy. It features integrated SEO optimization and built in blog post blueprints. Their SEO solution is pretty handy in that it doesn’t require a separat
e plugin, as you do with many WordPress installations. It also includes subscriber list management features so you can blast your list with confidence. You can easily add calls to action so that you can increase your readers’ blog engagement. The pages are also mobile optimized, in response to the rising popularity of mobile search. It’s a little known fact that mobile optimizations also increase your SEO rankings. The on page editor makes it easy to manage your blog posts.
- No marketing software would be complete without social media integration. Hubspot includes features to determine how many leads your social media campaigns are generating. Beyond that, they provide a bird’s eye view so you you can see a user’s entire history from page views to email opens and customer status.
- Email integration. Of course, you’re going to want to use email to communicate with your readers list. Hubspot has thought of this also. It allows you to send targeted email, which enables you to skyrocket click through rates by up to 300%. You will find support for A/B split testing to allow you to really tweak your email campaign.
- Landing page creation can be a pain so Hubspot helps you streamline the process of landing page creation. It allows you to integrate forms and calls to action with the click of a mouse. Landing pages are really an industry standard in marketing these days, so including this functionality is really helpful.
- Analytics functionality to take advantage of all that data. In the modern world we have access to monstrous amounts of data. Making sense of it can require a PhD, or at least some fancy software to do the heavy lifting for you. Hubspot includes some integrated analytics features that help generate insightful figures and graphs to let you know what is going on with your marketing campaign. This enables you to make the right decisions to know what the next winning move is going to be.
- Website creation functionality that rivals the ease of use of WordPress. One really cool feature they include is Smart Content that allows you to tailor the website to individual visitors.
With respect to pricing, Hubspot is pretty reasonable. The basic package starts at $200 a month with a $600 onboarding fee. The pro account jumps up to $800 and enterprise level is $2400 a month. It’s worth mentioning that Hubspot has a free trial. That’s really handy when you are considering forking over such a large sum of money.
Postano: Postano has a focus on the social media side of things. While writing great content is central to your content marketing strategy, you are really going to need to use social media to bring your content to the world.
If you’re active on a variety of social media outlets, one thing that can be challenging is keeping tabs on all of them. Postano has an aggregation feature that connects and visualizes all of your social accounts and plops it all into one place. This is really handy for centralized control of your social media campaign.
One of the nifty features they offer, that appears to be relatively unique, is their content curation. We’ve all heard a story or two about someone mistakenly posting something that can compromise their brand, and from that moment forward the company is in full damage control mode. Curation features include
- The ability to block users who attempt to publish off brand content
- Assignment of roles to various members of your organization, so you can have some accountability in moderating various platforms
- Profanity filtering to make sure naughty language doesn’t slip through the cracks
Social data visualization is also integrated into Postano. This includes the ability to visualize actual data pertaining to buzz and trends around your marketing campaign. You can publically display the visualization and encourage fan participation in hashtag voting by displaying the results in real time.
The analytical capabilities on this platform are deep. They let you know everything from demographics (ethnicity, gender) to social sentiment and top hashtags. Postano also lets you find related hashtags, which can help give ideas for your next hashtag campaign. It also lets you know which platforms are most popular, so that you’re not spending time on the wrong platform.
If you’re active on social media, this is great software to leverage
There is a whole world of software out there designed to help content creators. Many of these focus on the social media aspect, because getting known and disseminating your great content is a huge problem. Don’t let your content idle in obscurity. Take a look at one of the above packages to see if it can help bring your content out of the darkness and into the bright light of fame.
We hope this has been helpful! Please tune in for the next post.