Big data is a reality that companies have accepted and they have already figured out some effective solutions to handle big data. One solution in this list is Apache Hadoop described by its developers as an “open-source software for reliable, scalable, distributed computing.” Now, while you are here, you would already know what Hadoop is and what it offers. This article will briefly list some features of Hadoop and analyse why Hadoop is a popular framework when it comes to big data services.
Ever since Hadoop’s initial release in 2011, it has gained popularity because of various features that the developers have incorporated targeting specifically the challenges that big data users faced.
- Works with unstructured data.
- Runs on industry-standard hardware.
- Creates smart back-up for easy recovery.
These are just some great features of Hadoop. To experience all that it has to offer, download now. Hadoop has four major components—Hadoop Common, Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), Hadoop MapReduce, and Hadoop Yet Another Resource Negotiator (YARN). Now each of these component serves a purpose and an Internet search will enlighten you on the functions of each of these components.
Why Is Hadoop a Preferred Big Data Solution?
Many companies choose Hadoop because of the features listed above but it does not end here for many. Let’s look at some popular reasons why Hadoop is chosen.
- Cost-Effective: Hadoop user swear by its cost saving. The other data management system would cost a lot more than what Hadoop does. It is estimated that the operating cost of Hadoop inclusive of all the requirements is $1000 per terabyte which is way less than other systems.
- Scalable: With Hadoop, there is practically no limit. You can store as much as you want and it offers more than what its competitors do.
- Flexible: As discussed above, Hadoop can store unstructured data and help make use of it. It lets you store all types of files.
Who Can Use Hadoop?
Hadoop is used by some popular names like Facebook and Google but practically, any company working with big data can use Hadoop.
Apache encourages Hadoop user to register on its “PoweredBy” page. One interesting fact about Hadoop is that Apache has tried to compile a list of service-providers who offer Hadoop big data services. You can visit their website to see if your provider is in the list. Or if you are a provider then you can get yourself listed by e-mailing the required details.
Hadoop remains a popular choice for companies and therefore many service providers offer expert services to make the most of Hadoop’s popularity. However, while selecting the provider for Hadoop big data services, make sure that your professional is fluent. A professional company or individual should be up-to-date with the latest releases and the updates made by Apache. For instance, the latest release supports Microsoft Azure or Hadoop-10950 has the capacity to auto-tune on the basis of host’s memory size. This minute details can take good to perfect.
Latest posts by Ethan Millar (see all)
- The Future Of Machine Learning And Data Science - September 26, 2017
- Easy Way to Add Help Section in CRM Entity Form - July 28, 2017
- Customized Deployment for Spring Boot Applications - June 2, 2017