The use of jail management software (JMS) has started to be the latest trend among correctional facilities in automating their jail information management system, as some jail managers are starting to get a glimpse of the benefits that it will bring to their facility.
It is important to note that the jail is the key component of the local criminal justice system and with this, its requirements when it comes to effectively managing information, whether it is specifically for inmates or facility operations, are determined by the efficiency of its management of information through jail automation.
However, even with its popularity in the field of corrections, still not a lot of jail managers in many correctional facilities are fully familiar about automated jail information management processing through JMS. Aside from this, local criminal justice systems are facing significant problems that need to be addressed, such as jail crowding, trends in population characteristics, and the lack of adequate staffing, which require comprehensive, reliable, and accessible data.
In order to address these concerns, it is imperative to understand the functions and benefits that JMS would contribute in solving the aforementioned problems and providing ease of operations.
What is Jail Management Software and its Key Functions?
JMS is a software intended to deliver efficient jail flow through effortless and seamless integrated system that will offer immediate access to valuable data like inmate information, booking, and commissary records, which ensures improved management and process workflow in your facility.
Given the complexity of jail processes, there are a number of JMS products with features that aim to simplify almost all of corrections’ facility activities. This means that it will just be a matter of choosing what is going to be the best fit for your institution’s needs. The following are the key basic functions that will greatly help in jail automation that you need to look for:
1. Booking/Intake. Booking is the process by which an official arrest record is made, and in booking an inmate, it is important to ensure speed and accuracy. Also, when using JMS, data regarding previous offender or an existing inmate in the system will be easily accessed because booking report data entries is eliminated. With this function, you will also be able to record property information, which includes type, description, hazards, location, and disposition. Also, most JMS features have add-on packages that manage booking forms electronically, resulting in reduced paperwork.
2. Daily Jail Activity Monitoring. Using this feature, routine and daily activities like inmate incident record, medical logs, mail, phone and visitation logs, and cell history are recorded and monitored through a central inmate information list.
3. Commissary Management. In jail automation, this JMS feature supports the timely upkeep of commissary stock items and monitoring of inmate purchases. In managing the facility commissary, the software offers effective methods for placing orders and automatically tracks inmates’ current balances. Some software provide integration of commissary feature with booking reports, which reflect current entry balance, and allow deposits to be made to an inmate’s account.
4. Incidents Monitoring. One of the growing concerns in jail or prison management is overcrowding which makes incidents monitoring a critical aspect to handle. With JMS, jail managers will be able to track jail incidents according to its type, when, and where in the facility did the particular incident happen. It also offers features that can create narratives of the incidents and track involved inmates and officers.
5. Cell Management. With this function, cells can be easily identified by facility name, building name, floor, section cell, and bed. It can also monitor cell assignments and reassignment as well as cell history.
6. Billing Management Capabilities. This feature provides detailed information that is needed in creating accurate invoices. With this, corrections personnel will be able to access a summary of the entire jail information and displays an overview of the data.
How will Correctional Facilities Benefit from Jail Automation through JMS?
There are very vital benefits that a corrections facility will gain in investing in a reliable jail management system. These are some of the essential benefits of JMS in jail automation:
1. Thorough Integration. To gain full understanding of a certain inmate’s condition, corrections personnel rely on their personal records, and with JMS, staff will have easy access to the full history of a specific inmate. These records which include name, property taken or issued, and medical conditions significantly help the corrections facility, police departments, sheriff’s office, and other law enforcement agencies.
2. Ease of Use. One of the characteristics of a JMS is that it features intuitive navigation which means that it is designed for users to move successfully off into other parts of the software. With this seamless navigation, users are allowed to find information without difficulty.
3. Configurability. Being consistent in maintaining accurate automated jail records is critical in jail information management. JMS provides reliable processing of inmate information by allowing correctional personnel to modify software settings and defaults to reach your agency’s requirements which let users to make and come up with multiple evaluations.
4. Searching and Reporting. As reporting is an essential part in database usage, JMS allows easy methods in generating reports, and with this, search results may be categorized to produce comprehensive reports.
Added to these benefits are other factors that will be of great advantage to a corrections facility:
- Minimized Paperwork. One of the advantages of jail information automation is that you will be able to save a lot in labor costs, and using JMS rather than pencil and paper makes corrections officers more efficient and productive.
- Enhanced Operation Efficiency. Having your jail information management system streamlined and redundancy of efforts and practices minimized, corrections officers will be able to deliver their services in the most effective and efficient manner possible.
- Security of Data. With JMS, it is assured that digital privacy measures are utilized in order to avoid unauthorized access to computers and databases.
- Reduced Turnaround Time. Because of the comprehensive features that a JMS has, the period for completing a certain task is significantly reduced, and tasks are finished in a timely manner.
- Consistency. Without a reliable JMS, inaccuracies are expected to always happen. Logging information manually is highly possible for human errors, and this is one of the foremost issues that contribute in making discrepancies when logging information.
What are the Examples of JMS that you may consider in Streamlining Correctional Facilities?
Automating jail information is an utmost requisite in order to deliver effective and efficient law enforcement. In every aspect of criminal justice system, it is imperative to have accessible current information like inmate’s criminal history, medical records, or even gang affiliation. Identification details also need to be easily obtained by jail officers with just a single stroke. According to CrowdReviews.com, the following are examples of the ideal JMS that you may consider in order to streamline your jail information management system:
- SleuthJAIL. This software is ideal for US-based correctional facilities, which automates and manages correctional facility’s inmate processing like records management system (RMS) in order to streamline managing agency records and data. It also has mobile web-based features which provide integrated mobile computer solution.
- Zuercher Suite. When using this software, a booking wizard allows you to gather the inmate data that you need, review medical history, check in personal property, and make classifications, with information that is right at your fingertips. You can also fast track the process of generating data using prepopulated past bookings, arrest reports, and warrants.
- INTERSLam. This type of JMS has impressive features like managing visitor lists, storing all inmate information, and also tracking court information.
- Lock&Track. Lock&Track is SQL-compatible which is actually advantageous in automating jail information. It also supports modules like bed selection and early release lists and has powerful data entry support.
- Tiger Commissary. According to client reviews, this JMS has the most number of features from accounting, dispatching, evidence tracking, fine and fees, and reporting; with this, wasteful and time-consuming practices involved in facility operations are eliminated.
With these said factors, jail managers will most likely find the right kind of JMS. However, before deciding to streamline your jail information management system, it is imperative to study your options well and be certain that it will assist you in simplifying tasks and activities.
It is strongly suggested that any corrections facility who may take on any JMS be highly positive and clearly defined as to how it is going to address the needs and requirements that your facility needs.
Want to find out more about the available jail management software products in the market? Checkout the list of JMS products, according to your correctional facility’s needs, at CrowdReviews.com.
Latest posts by Floyd Oleary (see all)
- Applicant Tracking Software: What to Look for When Buying This Tool - January 13, 2017
- Legal Case Management Software: What Products Are for Small Firms? - January 12, 2017
- Learn How Auto Dealer Software Manages Inventory and Financing - January 11, 2017