Google has been working dedicatedly to ensure that its search engine is upgraded and updated as per the latest requirements of its users. In recent times users are relying on mobile devices for most of their activities online, as such, it is quite obvious that Google is devoting its time and efforts towards catering to the needs of those users. In this context, it must be pointed out that Google has already released several updates that have been designed for making the web a much friendlier platform for all the mobile device users. However, now Google is gradually rolling out the mobile-first index that could be transforming the game dramatically for webmasters and search engine optimizers.
What Do You Mean By Mobile-First Index
Google is accustomed to assimilating information on all the web pages in a huge catalog called the index, which Google uses for formulating and displaying search results for diverse queries. Till some time back, Google was basically in the habit of viewing web pages through a desktop user’s eyes. However, now Google has taken an about turn and considering the mobile versions of every page as the main page to index. The desktop version is regarded as secondary from now on. Google’s mobile-first index seems to have been rolled out already to some users. However, just like any other major update of Google, it is gradually being rolled out.
Google’s Obvious Preference for Mobile Friendliness
This is certainly not the first occasion when Google has come up with an update that addresses the growing needs of mobile device users. Mobilegeddon and also its follow-up had been introduced in the year 2015 & 2016 respectively for encouraging the web to gradually become more and more mobile-friendly platform.
The Mobile-First Index & Its Impact
It has been clearly pointed out by Google that your site would neither be penalized or rewarded, as far as, rankings are concerned based precisely on mobile friendliness. However, the real impact of Google’s mobile-first indexing could be seen in action, if your desktop and your mobile sites are remarkably different from one another. For instance, if your page’s mobile version has substantially less content than your desktop version, then the mobile version would from now on be regarded as your primary version, and that could be affecting significantly your visitor’s first impression of your site and your brand.
Suggestions for Your SEO Strategy
- Ensure complete mobile compliance. Your site must have a perfectly functioning mobile version. You could be using a truly responsive design which would be automatically flexing according to the device that is used for accessing it.
- Ensure equality between mobile and the desktop versions. Make your site’s mobile version your main version. Make sure that your mobile version is always updated first in all your future revisions.
- Go for app development. It is a good idea to develop an app appropriate for your business even though mobile-first focuses primarily on mobile sites and not apps.
The Mobile-First Index would not be directly impacting your site but it is critical to understand its specific effects and where it stands vis-à-vis Google’s priorities and directives. If you wish to be in the good books of Google then continue to give priority to your mobile users.
Latest posts by walter (see all)
- Comparing PayrollLoans with Installment Loans for a Smarter Choice - June 5, 2017
- Easy Tricks To Become An Instagram Juggernaut - April 12, 2017
- 6 Strategies for Effective Marketing on Instagram - April 10, 2017