Food is one of the products that never go out of the trend. Every day, thousands of people go to restaurants and fast food chains to eat. For this reason, many aspiring business owners take advantage of this opportunity. They start building food stalls or trucks so they can give their services to many people. If the owner has a lot of money, he will find a construction company to build his restaurant.
However, starting a restaurant business doesn’t end in having a beautiful place to eat or hiring staff. You also need to consider on how you will handle your inventory and transactions. There are several tools that let you manage this stuff. However, if you want to get an all-in-one solution, then you should choose the point-of-sale software.
There are many PoS software providers that you can choose from. They all claim that they’ve got the best PoS software for all businesses. However, you can only tell if it’s the best on the market if it has all the must-have features. So the question is – what are those components that you need to look for?
This article will discuss the fundamental functions of the PoS program and its benefits. But first, you need to know the purpose of this system.
What You Need to Know About Point-of-Sale
According to Entrepreneur.com, Point-of-Sale (PoS) refers to a network operated by a computer and connected to a number of checkout terminals. It records all your transactions and updates your inventory records. In that way, you can monitor your sales and determine whether you need to get more stocks.
The PoS system software comes in a form of barcode scanners, touchscreen displays, and cash registers. It is used in different industries, such as salons, casinos, stadiums, and of course, restaurants. In a general sense, if it requires payment, then a PoS system is needed.
There are different types of PoS tools, but the most popular system is the web-based PoS platform. This tool does not only monitor sales and profits, but it also updates the data in real-time. Hence, you can concentrate on giving meals and services than just tracking the growth of your business.
The Importance of PoS Software for Restaurants
So the question is – why use PoS software? One of the primary reasons is that it helps you manage inventory. However, this tool is more than just inventory management. There are seven reasons why this system is important. Below are some of the benefits you can get from the restaurant PoS software.
1. Easier sales tracking – Restaurants receive thousands of dollars and credit cards every day, making it difficult to monitor sales. But with the use of the PoS restaurant software, you don’t need to manually monitor your earnings. Once you receive the payment, it automatically records the amount that you get, making it easier to track sales.
2. Simple processing of debit and credit card transactions – According to ABCNews.Go.com, 7 out of 10 people use credit cards in America. For this reason, you need to have a PoS system in place. With the use of this, you can handle all debit and credit card transactions without buying another system. Moreover, it provides security for both restaurants and customers.
3. Easier statement preparation – During the tax season, one of the documents you need to prepare is your monthly earnings. However, gathering all these figures is not only time-consuming but also labor-intense. Still, you have to do it so you can pay your bills.
Fortunately, you don’t need to spend time on gathering this information anymore. With the use of the restaurant point-of-sale software, you can get these figures with just one click! You only need to print the report and send it to the IRS.
4. Improved security – Security is essential in all businesses. If your customers feel secure, chances are, they will go back to your place. However, security does not only refer to your buyers’ wellbeing. They also want to ensure that their personal information is safe.
This is where this software comes in handy. This tool uses a password so that only authorized people can view their customers’ details. Furthermore, it prevents theft inside the business.
5. Monitors labor efficiency – The PoS system can also be used as a time tracking tool for laborers. Every day, employees punch in their cards whenever they go in and out of the store. With this program, you can monitor the number of hours they spent at work, eliminating overpaying and underpaying.
6. Promotes off-site control – Let’s face it! You can’t be in your restaurants all the time. Sometimes, you need to step out in order to buy inventory or to meet new clients. Nevertheless, it should not hinder you to monitor your firm.
With the use of the mobile PoS tool, you can track your sales using your smartphone. You simply need to integrate it with the system that you use and connect it to the internet.
7. Improves labor – The role of the restaurant crew is not just about preparing and giving meals to their customers. They also need to handle payments and ensure that you give them the right change.
However, it’s not easy to do these things simultaneously. But with this software, you can spend less time on handling the payments and more time on giving services.
5 Must-Have Features of the Restaurant PoS System
Many restaurateurs ask – what is the best PoS software for restaurants? There are several PoS products that you can buy on the market. These products claim that they have promising features that will help you track sales. While some providers are telling the truth, others only say it to entice more users.
If you want to get the best restaurant PoS tool, you need to look for the following features:
One of the essential components of the PoS system is speed. Every day, restaurants deal with several buyers. Hence, it’s quite difficult if the system you’re using is slow. To keep up with their demands and ensure that the data is up-to-date, you must get a fast PoS platform. In that way, everything will run smoothly,
- Track Inventory
If you mentioned “inventory management” to restaurateurs, their initial reaction would be appalling. Let’s face it! Managing food stocks is the last thing you want to do. However, you still have to monitor your inventory to ensure you have sufficient supply.
Fortunately, you don’t need to go to the food storage to check if you still have enough stock. With the help of this program, you can track your supplies without a problem. Moreover, you can reduce food waste, which is one of the leading problems today. You simply need to integrate it with your food service management software to get the right amount of supply.
- Accurate Reporting
Numbers don’t lie. These figures tell you whether you are on your way to success or downfall. However, these pieces of information aren’t just there as a display. It shows you that you need to make an action to keep or to improve your status.
With the use of this tool, you can make better decisions for your business. You can remove or add more menus that will catch your customers’ attention and improve sales. Through this feature, you can identify whether or not your tactic is effective.
Moreover, you can print them out as it is or customize it to make the report look more professional. This is ideal if you need to present documents to the IRS or to your new clients.
- Allows You to Do Marketing
One of the widely used platforms today for advertising is the internet. Through these services, you can promote your products and services for a fraction of a cost. You simply need to hire an online marketer to advertise your business on the web.
But what if your business is new? Would you still be able to promote your restaurant without hiring an online advertiser? Sure, you can! You simply need to take advantage of your PoS tool.
This program does not only handle all your transactions and inventory. You can also use it to create a compelling marketing strategy. You simply need to use the data provided by the software to make an online ad.
For instance, one of your menus has the lowest sales. You can use this information to think of a tactic that will help in improving the demands for this product.
- Technical Support
It’s one of the most important yet underrated features of the PoS system. Many people tend to overlook this component when they buy this product. Their primary focus is on the inventory and speed. However, without good customer support, it will be impossible to enjoy the perks of this tool. After all, they are the ones who fix and maintain the performance of the system.
Hence, when getting this software product, make sure it has a 24/7 customer service. In that way, they can fix the issue whenever you need it.
Latest posts by Trevor Price (see all)
- Why Document Management Software Is a Must for Every Company - January 13, 2017
- What Are the Best Scheduling Software for Your Specific Needs - January 12, 2017
- What Are the Top Features of Membership Management Software - January 10, 2017